The Allocution Statement of Helt a.k.a. General*
*An allocution statement is a statment made by a defendant before sentencing in a court of law.
I stand convicted of a great offense. I have had much time to consider what I believe to be my primary error in thinking in this matter. There have been many times in my life when I have been caused to face intense dilemmas in my judgments, my mistakes defy explanation. I address myself to that which I fail to understand.
I have witnessed a lack of trust in this country between the governed and their government. As I grew older, I became aware that the overwhelming majority of people my age placed little or no faith in our established institutions. I was not that we failed in our commitment to democratic principles; it was that we were no longer confidant in the direction our government had taken. What I failed to understand is that it did not matter if the President was a criminal; it did not matter if the land was filled with prejudice and bias; it did not matter if law enforcement could be lawless or that we could kill in Nicaragua for ten years. It did not matter if we could assassinate and topple other elected governments.
Another thing I failed to grasp was that while these and other things disgusted me, none of them individually or even in their sum total were the central issue. What was virtually indispensably important was that we had ideals. That we based our society on law…no matter that our history was flawed…there are those who strive to be correct; to heal; to persevere toward those goals upon which we base our government. And when the time arrived, in the face of pressure, my decision was colored in the back of my mind with the thought that I had been betrayed all along by my government. And that what we were and the place we had arrived were irreconcilable. I was wrong to believe that my ideals no longer counted. I believed the nation to have abandoned those commitments toward principle- which have made this country unique. And when I was coerced, it left me with little strength to fall back on.
Mine was a position I did not seek. My primary failure was appreciating that my country is anchored in principle no matter what the practices of its government. I appreciate the court’s position. I would hope that at some reasonable time I would be allowed to contribute once again to this society.
There is no possible recurrence of this matter. I have never been involved in criminality. I am emotionally exhausted, but I am not beaten. I have one goal in my life and that is to recover my reputation. I am resolved to accomplish this. I appreciate the conscientious defense my attorneys provided. I apologize to my Mother. I express profound regrets to the American people and their principles.
County Jail KS 7-86
Helt a.k.a General
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment